Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Birthdays

I hate birthday parties. Okay, normally I don't hate them but I do hate when there are parties and your child isn't invited. Twice this week I have heard parents from Jared's class say to their boys "if you don't do ___________ right now you will not be going to Tom's party." Lovely, Jared has not been invited. The year 4 class has just been combined - there were two year 3 classes but as enrollment is down they combined them this year. Jared has never been in Tom's class before so this could explain why he isn't part of the birthday party - I'll tell myself that even though several other boys who were in Jared's class - not Tom's class - have been invited. Then there is Mitchell's party. Since enrollment is down ALL of Jared's friends have left the school. Harry is being homeschooled, Nathan switched schools and Riley moved back to the states. I ask Jared who he plays with and he says Mitchell. But Mitchell is having a party and Jared isn't invited. Fortunately my son has a better attitude then I do. I asked him about it and he said that Mitchell is only inviting 3 boys because they are going to the movies and that he has already seen the movie and he didn't like it. (Surf's Up) So - I guess I'll quit feeling sorry for my son and realize if he doesn't care I shouldn't either.

8 comments:

*Merry Girls* said...

Oh man that is a tough one, I am so protective of my little ones that I will read things into situations. Only to find out it did not bother my child at all. But it was kind of rotten of that friend to say "if you don't ____ I won't invite you..."

It sounds like your little guy has everything in check. Good job mom!

Pam said...

boys seem to take these kind of things in stride...now GIRLS are a different story.lol my oldest would be hurt if that happened to her...the youngest maybe not so much cuz she's pretty happy-go-lucky. and as for the bully, good on your son for not buying into that bullsh*t!

Unknown said...

What in the world are those moms thinking? They have sons...they can't be ignorant and would hate it if this happened to their children! I hate injustice to kids.

T * R * B said...

It is hard when you want to protect your kids so much. I have learned to let my 2 year old live a little. I kept mother hening him because I wanted to make sure no other kids hit him or took his toys. Then I realized he has to learn to cope with other people rude or not. I wont be there always.

Anonymous said...

I know, it hurts. I forget if I cared about these things at that age? My son always says the same thing, "I'm fine with that..." when I think something might have hurt his feelings.

Stomper Girl said...

Good for Jared. Sounds like Mitchell might have explained it nicely too. The party thing is hard! Some parents at our school invited the whole grade but that is completely out of our budget. Luckily my boy's birthday falls in the summer holidays so no-one really knows if they missed out or not.

Gerb said...

I am the same when this happens to my kids. It sounds like you've raised a good, strong kid to have such a great attitude about it.

Anna Maria Junus said...

Sometimes parents can't afford to invite everybody, especially if they're going to the movies or a play or something.

My son just had a party playing with a game cube. He had three boys over. It was perfect because there were four controllers. More boys would have been a problem.

It's tough, but it's part of life.