Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Thursday Thirteen #19


#19 Thirteen Innappropriate Computer Uses


13 Innappropriate Uses For The Internet At My New Job!

1. Using Emoticons/Wallpaper/Screensavers. Apparantly these can give a nonprofessional look and could even be offensive to others. Okay - not everyone thinks my kids are as cute as I do so I won't turn them in to a screensaver.

2. Sending Personal E-mail. The work email is for WORK not for distributing jokes to our friends. My favorite part of this guideline is it says "sending out resumes" LOL guess finding another job is not work related.

3. Web Surfing. I wonder what I will do when the room is empty and all my paperwork is done?

4. Sending Chain Letters. Not something I normally do anyways so I think I can handle that.

5. Listening to Internet Radio. I guess this isn't very professional, could be offensive and takes up network bandwith. I don't normally listen to the radio on the computer anyways.

6. Using Instant Messengers. I guess this can open the computer up to hackers and also can reduce levels of productivity.

7. Chatting. Same as #6.

8. Playing Computer Games. This takes up too much bandwidth and once again reduces productivity. Guess I'll have to keep my Pogo at home.

9. Downloading Movies/Music. I guess this can open up the computer to viruses and all of that. Plus it uses up harddrive space and can decrease internet speed.

10. Storing Personal Data. Once again it uses storing your resume as an example. I'm wondering if there is an ongoing problem here of people looking for a new job??

11. Generating Spam. Good thing I didn't put on my application that I once worked for a woman who did just that - she was a spammer.

12. Keeping Confidential Material Confidential. Probably why I can't send spam and all those personal emails using the things I have on the computer.

13. Destroying Equipment. Hmm so you think destroying the computer would be considered inappropriate use?

Hey did anybody see anything about blogs in there? I didn't. LOL
And for the record - this TT was completely composed at home.

33 comments:

Robin said...

Well, at least it didn't say no p*rn... LOL

Cynthia said...

I did not see anything about blogging. Yeah job...blog away!

Anonymous said...

I was wondering about blogging, too. Happy TT to you...

Chelle Y. said...

Shoot, what can you do at work? Haha!

Anonymous said...

Do people use screensavers these days?

Last job I had there were rules against most of those things but we all did them anyway!

Anonymous said...

Why do they have the internet??? What else can you do with it??? LOL.Great List, Happy TT

impwork said...

Not quite the same thing but a friend of mine in a new job was required to go through lists of guidelines and policies initialing each one including many of the above and one to check his desk wasn't too shiny. There was no explanation it just couldn't be too shiny?

Great TT :-)

Holly said...

Wow, what do they expect you to DO all day?

Smiles,
Holly

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

My company actually uses an e-mail program that has IM too. I turn it off since I telecommute--my cable connection gets bogged down with so much garbage running all the time. Happy TT!

Addicted to crafting said...

Few of those were part of something I had to sign at my new job!!! They don't mind wallpaper tho....

My company has an email program with a specific messenger (only for company members)

jenn said...

Can you blog?
Happy TT

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Everyone is so true. SPAM? ARRGGGHHH!!

Karen said...

Gosh....don't they know at your company that offering the internet actually keeps you fresh and alert by causing you to multi-task?!! It's tough to look busy with actual work while you are IM'ing!!
Happy TT!

Lori said...

Almost sounds like my job. Man, I hate websense and I totally dont understand not being able to listen to Internet radio. Happy TT, and just know, you're not the only one;)

Anonymous said...

Hey..(when I was still working) we communicate thru msn in the office..hehee..

Anonymous said...

Hmm..at least there's no rule that says no blogging! LOL that would be a problem,eh? :D

Mine is up here;
Thursday Thirteen
Happy TT!

Joyismygoal said...

At least you did not say blogging:>

Jubilee on Earth said...

Eeek! That was a scary list. We chat on IM, but it's with my co-workers and it's work related.

Hop on over to mine if you'd like to get added to my TT blogroll (and you can check out my 13 immunity-boosters for the cold and flu season).

Maria
www.jubileeonearth.com

Raggedy said...

What a list!
I didn't see them say you couldn't blog...
Terrific Thursday Thirteen!
My TT is posted.
Have a wonderful day!
Happy TT'ing!
*^_^
(=':'=)
(")_ (")Š
Raggedy

Nancy Lindquist-Liedel said...

You always have to assume Big Brother is logging your keystrokes, these days. Sad, but true.

erin said...

Wow, so basically your computer at work is useless! What do you do all day? :) Happy TT! Mine is 13 favorite Bible verses. I love your profile pic!

http://stephenanderin.blogspot.com/

Suzi Q said...

So funny, what else are you supposed to be doing at work? Great list, Happy TT!

KC said...

LOL your right nothing there about blogging
Happy T13

*Rae* said...

Well if you cant play pogo at work that just sucks lol as long as your work is done who cares

Believer in Balance said...

Blogging is work-related!

Darla said...

LOL! You know, with all the prohibitions on resumes, I'd start getting a little worried about why they think people are so eager to find different jobs! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds a little bit stiff -- much like the rules when I was in Japan. Right now, it's completely opposite. I blog from the office 99% of the time. :-)

Unknown said...

Great to remind yourself once in a while, right? I hope you have a great first day!

Kellan said...

I guess that's why they call it "work" - no fun at all. Cute list. See ya.

Deb said...

Nope, didn't see blogging mentioned on there anywhere! As I sit here at work reading T13 posts... (oops) That's a bit stricter than we've got here, although I think a lot of it is probably implied. Great list! :)

Anonymous said...

Have a great day tomorrow!
If you can't blog, then the job's NO FUN!! :)

Happy TT!

Cecily R said...

Aw man, they're no fun at all! I think you should blog and blog and blog til they implement a no blogging rule. They can call it the MomnotMum rule.

Head Gaggler said...

Blogs look like they are OK!