I spent my childhood reading. I would read anything and everything that was given to me. Here is a list of some of my favorites.
1. John Steinbeck. The Red Pony, Of Mice and Men, The Pearl - these all came from my Dad.
2. Beverly Cleary. Ramona, The Mouse and the Motorcycle and many more. My grandmother introduced her books to me after meeting her at a conference for aspiring writers.
3. Judy Blume. Fudge, Superfudge, and the list goes on – I’ve read them all.
4. Laura Ingalls Wilder. I read all the Little House books. In fact I treasured the set myself I never loaned them out. You can tell by the looks of them they’ve been read over and over and I’m happy to say that was all my doing.
5. Peggy Parish. Amelia Bedelia
6. Agatha Christie. You name it I’m sure I’ve read it. We wore out the little nook in the corner of our library devoted to her novels when I was in the 5th grade.
7. William Golding. Lord of the Flies. Another book from my Dad. Did you know it actually can annoy your teachers at school that you have already read the book – SEVERAL TIMES?
8. Katherine Paterson. The Great Gilly Hopkins. I loved this book as a kid.
9. Frances Hodgson Burnett. The Secret Garden. We almost rented a house in England with a secret garden but in the end they decided to sell.
10. Noel Streatfield. Ballet Shoes and several other “shoes” books. It started with the Ballet Shoes though because I was once obsessed with books about Ballet.
11. Cynthia Voigt. Homecoming, Dicey’s Song, A Solitary Blue.
12. Francine Pascal. Sweet Valley High. These came out when I was 10. I have the original books – before the TV show.
13. CS Lewis. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe and the rest of the Chronicles of Narnia. These were my brother’s books. I remember having to bribe him to let me borrow them. Probably cost me 8 packs of hubba bubba – that would have been $2 worth of gum at the time – my whole weekly allowance.
--I'm sure I'll have a few wondering why Anne of Green Gables is not on my list. I attempted reading one once and I was bored to tears.
Also - looks like I've finally made the TT blogroll - could someone tell me how to put one of those compact little blogrolls on here? lol