Thursday, February 12, 2009

Bragging!

I'm not big on bragging normally. In fact I come from a family that just doesn't do it very well. This comes from both sides actually - I married in to a family that takes pride in one another's accomplishments but they just don't brag about them. When we have family reunions with my husbands extended family we usually spend one night all hanging out in one big room and everyone updates on what is happening in their lives. Stew's dad is the oldest so he ALWAYS goes first. He gives a very matter of fact update on each of his children and grandchildren. It then moves on down the line, there are 8 siblings, and as it goes the accomplishments become BIGGER and BETTER. We often sit and think - well so and so has a 4.0 too and so and so conducted the Utah Symphony but it just doesn't occur to us to BRAG like that. And it does feel like bragging. In my opinion a family update is "Stew and his family live in Tucson- we're so happy to have them back from England." Not "Stew spent 4 years saving the world, his children are all merit scholars and his wife just wrote her first novel." Even though sometimes I think we should get a rebuttal at the end of the reunions so we can add all the things we didn't THINK to brag about being the first in line.

Well, anyways - the whole point of this post is so that I CAN brag! Yep, it is my blog and I'm going to do it. I have to say I love my boys they are fantastic and they are both very smart. Their interests and abilities are sometimes different than mine but this is to be expected as they are 1/2 of someone whose interests and abilities are also very different than mine. So this brings me to the girl. I really WANTED a girl and I am so absolutely thrilled how similar her interests are to mine. She is just so sweet and she loves school. Absolutely loves it. However, the thing that I LOVE that she loves the most is reading. I love to read, I have always loved to read. I can remember learning how to read and then that was it I was off. Jordan is the exact same way. She will be 7 next week and she is in 1st grade. She was retested for her reading level this week and her ability is 5.0. This means she is on a 5th grade reading level!! I absolutely am thrilled - there is nothing I DID to make her a good reader - she just IS. And I'm going to brag about it!

6 comments:

Gerb said...

My kids all get their love for reading from me, too. Sounds like you've got quite the smarty-pants on your hands! Brag away!!

ewe are here said...

Hooray for reading!

I sincerely hope all mine love to read as they keep growing...

Sharon Fairbourn and family said...

You should seriously think about having her moved up a grade. I made a big mistake in not moving Alex up a grade when we moved back. His education has really been hurt because I didn't. He was in 1st grade when we moved back and had completed year 1 in England. Similar to Jordan. I think.

Mom not Mum (Sandy) said...

Oh I tried Sharon - I tried. They just wouldn't budge because Tucson has all these charter schools and people put their kids in early and then move to public school and want them "up" a year. So for Kinder and 1st they just will NOT go out of age. We'll see next year and then talk about it again.

A Spot of T said...

Definitely worth bragging about! Good for her!!

Adlibby said...

Fantastic! Brag on!

I love girls and I'm a big reader. Mine are slow starters... my first grader has really struggled with putting it all together, but she still loves books! And I know that it will turn out okay, because my now 4th grader had some of the same struggles, and now I have to beg her to stop reading under the covers long past bedtime every night. What is her favorite book?